Saturday, February 21, 2009

Learning to Play. Learning to Listen.

Recently, I began a journey. This journey for me is a long one. I am learning to play the guitar. Before I continue, you must understand something -- I am not musically inclined whatsoever. I cannot keep a steady beat unless I am swaying or tapping on my legs. If I attempt to clap with my hands for long I will be sure to lose the rhythm that I had. So to say the least this could be interesting.

I do have a point, however, may I expound upon another area of my life?

Beginning about a month ago, I started running the soundboard for our fellowship meetings at CCF. I've noted that I have no rhythm, but I did not state that I do not have an ear for music either. I love to listen to it, and to listen to it, and to listen to it... did I mention listen to it? But that does not mean that I can tell good from bad, other than what is very, very obvious.

Onto the point...

I have been playing a lot, and I have been running the sound board about 3 hours weekly. I have found that as I do both I become more and more in tune with the changes. I have begun to realize when something needs adjusted, and I have started to catch the rhythm just a little more easily. Am I at a point where I am perfect? Definitely not. I, however, am getting to understand and know the ins and outs of each just a little better. I am noticing it more easily and frequently.

With that, I give you something to think about. If we were to choose to get into the word more and more, even when we feel it is doing nothing...If we were to pray with more frequency and be more determined to share our hearts...If we consciously chose to be more positive and to look to God in more situations...If we chose to not go with the things that make us happy in the moment, but look to our Creator and His plan and choose to follow it fervently...If we were to do these things, would we become more in tune with out Creator? Would we feel His presence more frequently, and therefore wonder where He is less? Would we begin, just as I did with the musical end of my life, to notice the small things just a little more but gain confidence all at the same time? Would we learn to acknowledge more quickly the adjustments that need to be made in our lives, rather than expending so much energy on something we do not need? And would we be happier, because if our whole goal is to honor and serve Christ...then wouldn't drawing closer to Him inevitably make us more transparent and joyful? If we were more exposed to Him, wouldn't we become more like Him with more consistency?

Main Thought: As we become more in tune with Him, we will learn to walk more closely to Christ's footsteps and will begin listening with more acute ears.

I think I might just try to apply this in my own life a little more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment